Judy Lee Rhinestone Earrings

Judy Lee Rhinestone Earrings

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Sunshine and Rhinestones

I actually began my little experiment of wearing my costume jewelry in September while I was at the beach.  Beach communities are the perfect venue to be a little experimental.  For one thing, clothing (and sometimes bathing suits) is optional and with the exception of the places like the Hampton's or Nantucket, comfort reigns.  My husband and I vacation in a community that is downright bohemian.  If there is abundant wealth, which of course there is during the summer months in most beach communities, its not visible on the beach or in town.  A memorable moment of my life was when another "tourist" took one look at my sun-kissed scrappy children with crystals of sand in their salt-water encrusted hair and ice cream dripping down their faces, and asked me if we were "locals".  My husband and I shared a knowing glance, "first timers", in their pristine perfectly matched designer outfits, strapy sandals and  Louis Vuitton bags, these fashionistas were going to hate it here where a coordinated outfit is a pair of Teva's and ripped sweatshirt!  In those days beads were a large part of my life and to be fair to these women, my uncontrollable wild curly hair was frizzing to perfection and with stacks of beaded gypsy bracelets wrapped around my wrists (not to mention the shark tooth necklaces my sons and husband were sporting), we did look like our sole income was generated from selling trinkets in town.  The beach has always been a place where I push the boundaries in my dress and accessories, or it was until my daughter tagged me in Facebook wearing a two piece. This is especially true when it comes to jewelry, contrary as it might sound, beach vacations are the prefect time to pull out the rhinestones and cubic zirconia.  That large costume diamond ring you would never wear to work, looks fantastic on the beach and since rhinestones and CZ's are easy to replace, you never have to worry about losing your valuable jewelry in the sand or water.  Believe me, frantically looking for a cherished piece of jewelry in the water with waves slapping at your face and the inconsolable crying that follows such an ordeal,  is not my idea of a memorable moment (fortunately we found my husband's watch that day).  When I pack for the beach the first items I grab are my CZ's, most of which, with the exception of a few rings, are discrete contemporary pieces.  However, this last vacation being the start of my little experiment wearing my vintage jewelry, I also threw in several of my rhinestone pieces, including these lovely bracelets.

 

The first two bracelets are vintage from the 40's, the third is a contemporary piece.  If you grew up in the 60's you might remember your own mother wearing something similar and while the majority of these white rhinestone pieces were made in the 40's & 50's they retained their popularity well into the 60's and early 70's.  I would hazard to guess that the development of cubic zirconia ended the popularity of the rhinestone.  Early rhinestone jewelry is usually prong set in silver pot metal but every so often I have found an early piece set in sterling.  The rhinestone are usually closed back or foiled.  This was not only the style of the time but was also done to give the rhinestones the appearance of genuine diamonds.  I  had decided in advance of our trip that I would wear one of these bracelets out to dinner and  I was sure I could get away with rhinestones at the trendy french bistro we were planning on trying.  Besides, I would be at the beach what did I care if I was to make a fashion faux pas, its not like the camera crew of "What not to Wear" would be there or even worse, my daughter with her cell phone.  Well, getting dressed that night it was obvious that wearing just one rhinestone bracelet made me look like I was missing something, my ball gown and tiara, so I opted to wear all three on the same wrist. I paired them with a black J Crew ruffled tank, black corduroy jean style jacket, and jeans of course. A perfect outfit for the beach bohemian.


Cubic zircona rings such as this one by Crislu, are perfect for the beach.  Just remember sand can do a number on CZ's and sharks (land and ocean) are attracted to shiny objects.

No comments:

Post a Comment